Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Great Interview with McCarthy in the WSJ





This interview with Cormac McCarthy appeared a few weeks ago in the Wall Street Journal. Please read it.


6 comments:

  1. That man is brilliant, pure and simple. I've mentioned it before, but I just love the way he approaches writing. It's almost like writing, for him, is like having a conversation with himself--not really catharsis, but just speaking his mind for his own sake, if that makes any sense. I hope he'll give us at least one more book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, you're right--this interview is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This interview is wonderful!!!! They way he approaches his writing is almost as if he is just trying to relate to a "regular" person. The writing style is like him just having a conversation. Its amazing the way he tries to just get all of his thoughts and feelings out there. I absolutely loved the interview! I agree the interview was GREAT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this interview! He is exactly as I pictured him to be. I agree it does seem as if he is having a conversation with himself.
    This interview really gives me a different perspective on his writing and I look forward to reading some of his other works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonjour mes amis!

    The first issue of Wolf is finally out - visit wolfreview.blogspot.com for more information or you can order it directly (for the stupidly low holiday price of $8!) here: http://magcloud.com/browse/Issue/46877

    The magazine will soon be at Nightbird Books on Dickson St. if you prefer real-live shopping. Support local stuff! Peace on earth! Positive catch-phrases!

    Digitally,
    scram

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I'm sure everyone is going to disagree with me on this matter, but I did not form a positive opinion of Cormac McCarthy from this interview. His responses to the questions were unsatisfactory to me for several reasons. Firstly, he gave us a lot of trivial information regarding science courtesy of his pals at the institute. To me, it almost seemed like he was telling us about these obscure theories to impress us, like he was trying to show us how brilliant he is. Or maybe we're supposed to be impressed that he hangs out with all these "scientists." I don't know how to describe it any better, but there is just something about him that is arrogant. Then there are his personal responses about his relationship with his son and brother. Everything is so simplified; it makes me feel like he's being insincere. Interpersonal relationships are anything but simple, saying "he's my kind of guy" seems kind of lame. I really got the overall feeling that McCarthy was sort of acting, being the person his readers expect and want him to be, even if they aren't necessarily aware of those expectations. No one really wants him to give us an answer about when the apocalypse will happen, if he did then he would just be another quack. I guess I'm just never satisfied with these things.
    Ellie W.

    ReplyDelete